The improper use of extension cables and power strips, as well as improper connections to appliances have the potential to cause shock hazards, overheating and fires.  Below are a few safety tips to remain vigilant against the dangers of surge protection, fires and other electrical hazards that can be avoided.


  • Replace or repair loose or frayed cords on all electrical devices.
  • Avoid overloading outlets. Plug only one high-wattage appliance into each receptacle outlet at a time.
  • When possible, avoid the use of “cube taps” and other devices that allow the connection of multiple appliances into a single receptacle.
  • Consider having additional circuits or outlets added by a qualified electrician so you do not have to use extension cords.
  • Follow the manufacturer’s instruction for plugging an appliance into a receptacle outlet.