Every candle is a potential fire hazard if care is not used. When used improperly, a candle can cause significant loss of life, injury and loss of property. Here are a few candle safety tips to follow:
- Do not place candles near combustible materials. Remember to leave a one foot circle of safety around any burning candle.
- Place candles in glass or ceramic containers.
- Place candles on a protected, flat, heat resistant, dry, sturdy surface.
- Never leave children or pets unattended in a room with an open flame candle.
- Do not place candles on window ledges or near entryways. The potential air draft can “fan” the flame, potentially catching curtains or other materials on fire.
- Keep burning candles within sight at all times.
- Always extinguish candles before leaving the home. When you go out, blow it out!.
- Remember, candles can present fire hazards outdoors on decks and patios as well as inside your home.