REMINDER: In conjunction with the Change Your Clock Change Your Battery® Program, sponsored by Energizer and the International Association of Fire Chiefs, Countryside Fire Protection District would like to remind residents that Daylight Saving Time ends at 2:00 AM on Sunday, November 4th. So get ready to “fall back” and change your clocks and change your batteries!
In addition, CFPD recommends that you take some additional simple steps to make sure the smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in your home are maintained and working properly. These steps are as follows:
- Install smoke alarms in every bedroom, outside each sleeping area, and on every level of your home.
- Test smoke alarms at least once a month using the test button.
- Make sure everyone in your household understand the sound of the smoke alarm and knows how to respond.
- If an alarm “chirps,” warning the battery is low, replace the battery right away.
- Manufacturers recommend that smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms be replaced every 10 years.
- Compressed air can be used to blow out detectors and reduce the chance of false alarms.
We believe tragedies caused by fires can be reduced by reminding our friends, family, neighbors to do the same. So please take this simple step to make your home safe. Residents with questions or concerns about their smoke alarm or carbon monoxide detectors can be directed to our Fire Prevention Bureau at (847) 367-5511.
Thank you in advance for helping make this a fire safe community!
For a printable brochure about smoke alarms, click here.